Your tech digest, by way of the DGiT Daily newsletter, for Tuesday, March 24.
1. Apple iPad Pro 2020 reviews are out
And those reviews are faint with praise. The new iPad Pro is not a smash hit but with trackpad support for it and all iPads that can update to iPadOS 13.4, the world of tablets is much more interesting again.
- The general vibe from reviews is that while the iPad Pro 2020 is the best yet, and the new trackpad is interesting if expensive (and not available yet), other iPads remain very good and much cheaper.
- The Verge says the hardware is overkill given the software can’t make the most of it: “Unless you’re quite sure what you are going to do with these cameras, that LIDAR, or the faster processor, chances are you’d be equally served by the much-less expensive iPad Air — or even the base iPad.”
- CNET agrees and notes the best new feature is trackpad support which is coming to other iPads anyway.
- WIRED sums it up by saying: “The best iPad you can get… [but] you can get an earlier iPad, and a Pretty Darn Good one, for a lot less.”
- All reviews agreed that the inclusion of Lidar didn’t really seem to be useful, and you’re paying for it now but it’s something for the future. You might like to have a future-proof device, or you might like to only buy something when it’s useful.
- And most said if you have the 2018 iPad Pro, unless you’re doing AR for a living, it’s not worth upgrading.
But the more important thing is in just-released iPadOS 13.4, which includes trackpad and cursor support for all iPads. And those who’ve already had a few days with it seem to hugely enthusiastic.
- It’s almost a certainty that we’ll see the thin Android tablet market try to adopt a similar offering.
- The Google Chrome and/or Samsung DeX ecosystem is where this makes most sense, given that PC cursor behavior-changing in the likes of Windows 10 is largely unlikely.
- And the Android tablet market is really an afterthought for most manufacturers.
2. Samsung Galaxy S10 and Note 10 to get Galaxy S20 camera features with an update due soon (Android Authority).
DGiT Daily: Your tech resource
The DGiT Daily delivers a daily email that keeps you ahead of the curve for all tech news, opinions, and links to what’s going down in the planet’s most important field. You get all the context and insight you need, and all with a touch of fun, and the daily fun element that you otherwise miss.
Also Publish AT: https://www.androidauthority.com/tech-news-23-1097889/